GermanSchwurbelnTo blather like Sir Humphrey.

[Duden definition]( Convoluted, complex [in manner of expression]. Sir Humphrey, as context (alas, I can't find the episode online): > Sir Humphrey: "Minister, I think there is something you perhaps ought to know." > Jim Hacker: "Yes Humphrey?" > Sir Humphrey: "The identity of the Official whose alleged responsibility for this hypothetical oversight has been the subject of recent discussion, is NOT shrouded in quite such impenetrable obscurity as certain previous disclosures may have led you to assume, but not to put too fine a point on it, the individual in question is, it may surprise you to learn, one whom your present interlocutor is in the habit of defining by means of the perpendicular pronoun." > Jim Hacker: "I beg your pardon?" > Sir Humphrey: "It was...I." It's not *necessarily* blathering, though, I just put that there because it's a close but no cookie English word that sometimes matches. It mostly arises when scientific/technical jargon and manner of expression is used in a context, or for a topic, in which it is just not necessary. It may all be well and correct what you're saying but you're still dazzling people. /r/verysmart often applies, though e.g. lawyers are also prone to using the technique in the hope that the negative understanding that the recipient of the written transmission develops as to the very is sufficient to be hampered in defending themselves against a hair-thin argument. It's really quite common. [According to wikipedia](, the etymological root is in Middle High German "swerben", to become dizzy, to stagger, to turn in a circle, to spin, to move in a confused crowd.